How many times have you gone to work and feel the tension creeping up your body and you haven’t even got into the work place. Well I know that I am not the only one. Sometimes I don’t know what’s worse the people or the job. We don’t always get to control either, but we can do some things to fix or alleviate the pressure if you will. I often times laugh through the stress because sometimes that’s all you can do. I often say “you can’t make this stuff up”.
Well here are some strategies that work for me. I don’t think I would be social worker if I didn’t plug in some sort of behavioral changes or coping skills to help you out.
Ok let’s talk thing thang out:
- First if people are your problem, you just got to know how to deal with them.
- Take a break! Gimme a break! You can take a break by pausing to take a minute for yourself. Sit quietly to collect your thoughts, have a cup of your favorite hot stuff , or find a hideaway. I am sure every work place has one. Get creative!
- Use positive self talk to get you through a stressful situation.
- Listen to your favorite music . Put your headphones on (not blasting) and rock out to your favorite tunes. I personally like a little old school R&B or gospel.
- Prioritize your work so it won’t add any extra stress to your day. I like to handle the hardest things first and work my way down to the smaller things. I always keep a To Do List so I can check things off as I go. It’s visual for me so I know where I’m at.
- Get you a go-to- coworker that no matter what they always have a few jokes. This will take your mind off a few things. Now don’t go having a 1 hour chat about the office goings on’s and loose track.
Hopefully this helped a little. Until next time!